Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Tinting stains

On 2/21/15 5:38 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Granddaughter wants the bed I am building her to be red. I'd rather
stain than paint. Any recommendations on getting to red using an
oil-based stain? The material is two-bys in decent construction
grade.

Larry

Not sure about the oil part, but I would suggest looking into dyes.
You can get very, very bright red using dyes.

Here's a piece I did for a client in orange.
http://goo.gl/zJYj1K

It's actually a bit more orange in person than the picture shows.
I've seen some red dyes that are very bold and bright, almost like a
paint, but with the wood grain showing through.

I'd suggest using a pre-stain conditioner on pine or it could get *very*
splotchy. You may want more than one application of conditioner, as
well. I did several tests on scraps of the same wood for this piece.
Dye is much more penetrating than stain so testing is kind of critical.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--