Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default O/T: GOP Eyes Changes to Food-Stamp Program

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On 2/16/2015 6:03 AM, dadiOH wrote:

The point is that people could do better for themselves than social
security does. I certainly hope everyone reading this has a Roth
IRA...it is the only gift the feds have ever given us.

Yes, people could have done better IF they saved that 6%. How many
would? Look at the big picture. Even with IRA, 401k,one third of the
eligible people are not saving anything at all. 14% of those at
retirement age have nothing saved.

They have nothing saved, but they do have SS. If they did not have at
least that much, we'd be supporting them in some form of welfare even
more than we do now. Look around. How many steady working people do
you see that have no savings account, no checking account and less than
20 bucks in their pocket. There will be many of them. (they will have
a cell phone though)

And a big screen TV.

I would have been amenable to a compromise.

Social security
- OR -
Stick at least the same amount into an inviolate account.

One of the things I think schools should be teaching is how to manage
money. If they had done so, pawnshops would have gotten less of my money
when I was 8 - 21 during my Navy years

I also think they - and their parents - should be teaching how to delay
gratification. So much of the stuff people dribble their money away on
are things they won't be using in a rather short time...if they would just
delay purchases for 30 days, the desire would often fade; if they still
wanted it, OK, buy it. BUT FOR CASH.

--

dadiOH