Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: GOP Eyes Changes to Food-Stamp Program

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 16:06:50 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Scott Lurndal wrote:

Just because it is possible, doesn't make it likely. Do you have
any actual data that supports your supposition? Or is it more likely
that the vast majority of folks receiving assistence actually need it
and actually use it to buy food so they can spend what little cash
they have on essentials like rent, transportation and toilet paper?

I've no doubt that there are people that abuse AFDC and other
assistance programs. I doubt that the number of those people
is significant on any scale that matters.

Anecdotally - it seems to me that the abuse is more common in urban areas
than it is in rural areas. Personal ethics and all that, I suppose. I can
tell you that I've been behind people on assistance who were buying better
cuts of meat, and what I would call discretionary food items, than what I
was buying on my own dime. Can't really say I've seen a lot of beer in
those carts.

Just saw a sign in the supermarket "Sushi is EBT eligible".