Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default cleanest cut

"Leon" wrote in message

I actually used a small flush cut bottom bearing bit in my small Makita
trim router to follow a pattern clamped to the cutting board. I took out
most of the remainder 1/2" wide grove with the BS so that my cleanup cut
with a 1-1/8" bottom bearing bit in the router table would not have to do
much but take out what was remaining, up to the previously made grove using
the trim router.

There are a lot of subtle things going on in the video that you need to
consider, as you have noticed. ;~) I think I watched the video 4~5 times
to understand how he got to where ended up and why.

I do recall him switching to a smaller bit for to follow a pattern when he
wanted his inlay to be narrower.

I’d use a router and a pattern to make the grooves too. For the flush
cutting I'd probably use my shaper though. I like the extra power, the lack
of vibration, and the resulting finish that I get with the shaper. With
gently curves like that it would perform well...

I run bearings above and below the cutter so I can raise or lower the cutter
and run the work through in the proper direction in regards to the grain and
curve. This is an alternative to flipping the cutter over and switching the
rotation direction.

John