Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Computer Enclosure (not a case)

Lee Michaels wrote:
Over ten people tried to solve the problem. I could not figure it
out. But that old guy was tinkering around with the window and
figured it out. Sometimes a sound can happen in the most unexpected
manner.

Yes, definitely! There are at least a couple of dozen people over at
the Corsair hardware forum who think the designers should have actually
built a computer in the case before they started selling it. Quite a
few people seemed too timid to take the "knife" to the case. But people
were removing the fans from the case and observing that the fans didn't
make any noise outside the case.

And having done it, I think there is at least some reason for pause.
The steel "mesh" one needs to nibble away is pretty thick. It can be
"cut" piece by piece bending with a pair of needlenose pliers, but that
creates too much metal dust (the case has a motherboard, etc. in it).
Fortunately, the back comes off the case, so many specs fell right
through, and I vacuumed a lot. I had to "abuse" some electrical snips,
but you have to do what you have to do...

FWIW, the manufacturer, Corsair, does Not stand behind this procedure.
They deny there is a problem, but they will be able to swap fans with
you as often as you like. The "mesh" is not removable and big computer
cases don't ship cheap...

Cheers,
Bill