Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default Computer Enclosure (not a case)

"Bill" wrote:

Update: It looks like I can reclaim my 4-by-8.

After making myself read all (14 pages) of the reviews on my computer
case at Amazon, I found a fair number were disgruntled about the fan
noises even though most weren't. I think most of the buyers of this case
have expensive (i.e. loud) graphics cards. And a couple made reference
to a long thread in a computer hardware forum. To make a long story
short, it turns out the "noises" I was bothered by are primarily the
result of the 200mm front case fan being too close to a metal "grid" in
front of it that was surely only there "to keep people from losing
fingers". Over it is a dust cover, so that grid really isn't really
necessary after all. So a mere 75 minutes later, I nibbled out the grid,
and now, ... , to borrow a line from B. B. King, "The shrill is gone!".
: )

Some of you were with me in spirit, if only to keep me from bloodying
myself up!! I even took a couple of breaks. Amazing what one can
accomplish with a little patience (and the Internet community).

Reminds me of a car I had for a short time a century or two ago. Every time
I drove over a particular bridge, the car was filled with this god awful
sound. It sounded like the car would self destruct. There was a little
vibration. But the sound was downright scary. I brought this up to several
individuals and even had some of them ride in the car with me. The car was
fine otherwise. It only happened when driving across a particular bridge I
had to cross every day. Just the one bridge though. Any other bridge was
just fine.

I finally found this old curmudgeon to drive with me. He had me drive over
the bridge several times. It was scary and stressful. He finally figured
out the the passenger side window had a small "hitch" in it's ability to
fully close the window. This particular bridge was very high off the ground
and the wind patterns, etc interacted with a very small opening on top the
window. It was totally an acoustic problem. Here I thought the engine was
going to blow up.

Over ten people tried to solve the problem. I could not figure it out. But
that old guy was tinkering around with the window and figured it out.
Sometimes a sound can happen in the most unexpected manner.