Posted to rec.woodworking

Default your current drill press rpm

On 2/2/2015 8:33 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Electric Comet" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:38:22 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

2.8K. If I use a larger or a smaller bit or drill some other
material with it I open the belt lid, and look at the speed table
list for materials and bit size. My bench top drill press only ever

this reminds me to spray a clear coat over the speed table on mine
I did so already for the motor wiring diagram

gets used for my tapping head, so it gets left at its slowest speed
as well.

I think I'm going to lower mine below 1,000 and see how I like it

Most of my odd drilling is done on one of the CNC mills, and every
single operation is calculated for a solid conservative speed and
feed based on material, bit size, horsepower, bit strength etc.

Do you ever use boring bars for wood? this might solve a problem
I have with drilling deep holes in wood

Well, except stainless which I try to drill as aggressively as
practical so that it doesn't work harden on me halfway through the
hole.

do you mean the stainless gets hard when you start to work it?
I didn't know that

For most stainless alloys. YES!

If you get it blue - you will have some serious crystals grown
that are chrome oxide. Hard stuff - Green stones grind it out.

Martin