Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Runners for Cross Cut Sled - Hardwood or Aluminum?

On 2/2/2015 2:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
As far as I can tell, the standard material for Cross Cut Sled runners is hardwood and typically 2 are used. However, I saw a couple of plans that use aluminum as the runners and even one that suggests a single miter gauge bar as the only runner.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...-crosscut-sled

I think I see advantages and disadvantages of all options, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

"2 hardwood runners is the way that it's always been done" will not automatically be considered an "advantage". ;-)

For a woodworker a double bar is probably over kill. My best luck has
always been with steel bars. Second to that is the steel bar setting in
a dado to keep it straight in the bottom of the sled.