Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Humility

On 1/31/2015 2:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/31/2015 10:25 AM, Leon wrote:

Over qualified. During periods of economic down turns, like the one
that we are starting to recover from, there are lay offs and college
kids graduating. They are all hunting for jobs. Typically when there
are cut backs/lay offs, those that are the least important to the
company are let go. Those that immediately find jobs are not over
qualified. Those that can't find a job, even when people are being
hired, are over qualified for the jobs they are seeking.

And if you read between the lines, over qualified can also be defined as
educated well beyond ones intelligence level. If you don't know how to
apply and sell yourself with what you have been taught you are over
qualified for the job you are turned down for.

We have that situation now. I don't think it would get any worse by
educating people more, given a proper education. By proper, I mean
something usable. I have a PhD in 4th century Greek sculpture and can't
find a job in my field.

My point is, having the opportunity for an education does not lead to
the problem it is what you do with it. Instead of Greek scupture, go
into the medical field where there is a steady demand, or maybe
engineering, or even learn a trade.

I think we agree. Better educated is not the problem but can compound
the problem.

And while, thank goodness, we still have people in this country that can
be trained or educated to do most anything....the vast majority is not
going to do well with that process.

There are some professional students that will stay in school as long as
mom and day foot the bill. They have no direction and will be
overqualified if they ever do get kicked out of the house.

The higher education system needs serious overhaul. Tuition is going up
much faster than the cost of living and inflation rates The tuition at
UCONN is up 6% and the president got a 20% raise. Yeah, that makes
sense. Tough getting by on only $750,000 a year.

Agreed. But giving away an education seems, to me, to be the wrong road
to an overhaul.