Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Is It Me Or My Dado Blade?

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 8:24:48 AM UTC-8, Leon wrote:

...is a blade that only cuts one width well worth
having? While a 3/4" setting seems like a common size to cut, in the
real world it only works well for cutting dado's to receive 4/4 S4S
lumber and possibly MDF but not for receiving the common 3/4" piece of
plywood.

My dadoes are usually rough straight from the saw, and sandpaper and a knife
or chisel always come out for step #2. I don't mind doing some
cleanup by hand.

The original poster was making tongues (tenons); a fixed setting would
work for him.

My stacked dado set is steel, the wobbler is carbide; maybe I'll use the
wobbler again someday.

But, I have stacked dado blades, and would usually use those instead.