Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Is It Me Or My Dado Blade?

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 7:49:31 AM UTC-8, Leon wrote:
On 1/30/2015 5:40 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 1:43:01 PM UTC-8, Leon wrote:

[about wobble-blade adjustable dados]
There IS likely a setting at which the wobble-blade cuts
a flat bottom.

For my (Sears Craftsman 720.3261) blade, the instruction sheet indicates
that width is 3/4" (0.750 inches).

The only setting that the wobble blade will create a flat bottom is when
it is adjusted to not wobble at all.

That depends on the manufacturer's wobble-setting when the blade was
put into the tooth-grinder. For my blade, flat cuts occur at 3/4".

OK then...........
I think you have read some hocus pocus info promoting wobble blades.

But to be clear, I am not talking about a smooth bottom, I am talking
about a bottom that is the same measurement in the middle of the cut as
the outer edges of the cut.

Precisely: I've read the instruction sheet that came with my own blade; I find
no copy online, but this article has the basic info, too (see Figure 1d especially)

http://www.woodworkingseminars.com/wp-content/DadoBlades.pdf