Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Is It Me Or My Dado Blade?

On 1/31/15 10:24 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/31/2015 9:49 AM, Leon wrote:
OK then........... I think you have read some hocus pocus info
promoting wobble blades.

But to be clear, I am not talking about a smooth bottom, I am
talking about a bottom that is the same measurement in the middle
of the cut as the outer edges of the cut.

In order for a wobble blade to not cut a round bottom, when
adjusted to wobble, the blade would have to elongate where the
outer cutting teeth come in contact with the outside of the cut
and shorten where they come in contact with the center of the cut.
The wider the blade setting, the longer the part of the blade with
the teeth cutting the outer sections of the dado will have to be.
If the wobble blade was manufactured to be non adjustable it could
be made to cut a flat bottom but it would not be perfectly round.
The outer teeth would be farther from the center of the blade than
the teeth in the center of the cut.

Think of a ladder standing straight up in the air. It stands 10'
up in the air. Now lean the ladder over 12", how high up in the
air is it now. This is how a wobble blade works the farther away
the teeth are from dead center the shallower they cut. Those teeth
that are still located near the center of the blade will cut
deeper.

OK, I'll step back and retract the hocus pocus comment. ;~) I can
see how a wobble blade can produce a flat bottom but only at one
particular width setting. It does in one way as I indicated have
properties that the cutting surface of the outer teeth are farther
from the center of the blade as those that are closer to the center.

But with that in mind, is a blade that only cuts one width well worth
having? While a 3/4" setting seems like a common size to cut, in
the real world it only works well for cutting dado's to receive 4/4
S4S lumber and possibly MDF but not for receiving the common 3/4"
piece of plywood.

Bottom line is: no one who has ever gone from a wobbler to stacked dado
blades ever even thought of going back.

Heck even when I had a wobbler, I switched to a regular rip blade on my
table saw to cut cove molding because if left me with less sanding to do.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--