Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Humility

On 1/31/2015 8:38 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/31/2015 12:59 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

What it seems a good many people
haven't realized is that after a point formal education holds a person
back.

Hmmm, I've read that a few time and do not understand.. Could you give
an example?

Over qualified. During periods of economic down turns, like the one
that we are starting to recover from, there are lay offs and college
kids graduating. They are all hunting for jobs. Typically when there
are cut backs/lay offs, those that are the least important to the
company are let go. Those that immediately find jobs are not over
qualified. Those that can't find a job, even when people are being
hired, are over qualified for the jobs they are seeking.

And if you read between the lines, over qualified can also be defined as
educated well beyond ones intelligence level. If you don't know how to
apply and sell yourself with what you have been taught you are over
qualified for the job you are turned down for.

In addition an overqualified person can be a risk. He is desperate to
find a job to support his financial needs and in a tight market will
jump at anything to have income. If the economy improves or a job that
suites his qualifications better comes up, he is gone. A workforce is
going to be more stable when it's qualifications match it's pay level.