Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Humility

On 1/31/2015 12:27 AM, Bill wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

*snip*

Simply put, the government wastes so much of the money it collects that
darn little will actually be spent on the staff.
There will be exceptions but simply look at how the government runs the
education K-12. Free community college will simply be the new K-16.

Do we really need to put people through 17 years of formal education?
Even
13 years is too much for some people.

I didn't here the president say he was forcing anyone to go
(please pardon me for not reading all of the preceding messages of this
thread). I'm hope you're not saying that you have figured out a way to
filter out some of those who would like to go.

Well I did not listen to him either but the notion of making yet another
thing free, for the taxpayers to pay for, will with a certainty end up
as unsuccessful as most any thing else the government participates in.

As far as forcing students to go I have a couple of thoughts.
A. There are millions of HS drop outs so the government does not do a
good job at keeping kids in school either. The number of students that
actually attend does not affect the cost to educate them. The cost is
the same whether there are 15 or 30 students in any particular class.
B. There is a vast number of students that pay for their higher
education and should not be in college. When college students end up
not going into the field in which they studied, what good is that
$60,000 of debt which will take 30 years to pay off with a job paying
$20,000 a year?
C. Countless families will continue to support and let their kids live
at home as long as they are in school. This turns into 4 more years of
HS quality education that the dead beat kid will attend so that he does
not have to gout and support himself.

Again I will say that a free education sounds good but in reality you
often get what you pay for.

What it seems a good many people
haven't realized is that after a point formal education holds a person
back.

*snip*

Puckdropper