Posted to rec.woodworking

Default your current drill press rpm

Electric Comet wrote in
:

mine's variable but I don't vary it very much and right now I think
it's set to ~2000 rpm

What's yours set to? And do you vary it often?

It's like the lathe and speed depends on the wood but so far I've not
had any problems. I got a fair bit of steam when drilling wet wood
but I don't think lower rpm would make a difference

0 rpm. I vary it quite often.

The control is actually set rather fast... something like 3600 RPM.
Since it's adjustable via a speed control lever, I do vary it quite
often. Sometimes it makes a difference, but never has a bit refused to
work because of improper speed.

You might consider withdrawing the drill bit more often. Wet wood will
tend to stick, so you'll be slogging along chips as well as attempting
to get the end of the bit to cut. A little wax might help as well.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.