Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Is It Me Or My Dado Blade?

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 7:04:59 PM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I tried my hand at stub tenon joints tonight and ran into an issue.

(curved-bottom cut causes nonparallel tenons)

A wobble-type dado will cut a flat bottom of the width at which it was
sharpened; you can set it to the flattest-bottom cut, then use a
sacrificial fence to reveal the cutters to your tenon depth.

For a short stub, you could just use two or more cheapo blades (with washers
to adjust for the tooth set) instead of a complete dado set. I've bought
multiple on-sale blades for this purpose, but never got around to trying
it. Hey, if they were all sharpened in the same batch, the diameters WILL
match, just like a good dado set! This won't work well for wide
cuts, though, it takes extra motor power.