Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Humility

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 9:04:53 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Take heart in knowing that back then it was probably a more common thing
for people to know how to do this type work and the opportunity to learn
or be taught was more available then as it is today.
Surely, regardless of the tools used, there are forgotten tricks and
techniques that made those tools of 100 years ago more effective in the
hands of the craftsman than now with few left that may know those
techniques.

On the other hand, most of us today are self taught, and that is a
testament to accomplishment too.

Yep. And on a, somewhat, similar note, my niece's son once ask me to make a new Harry Potter magic wand.... he had broken his.... with braided-carved handle, kinna like gunstock carvings. That carving wasn't so easy a job as I had initially thought it would be.

Sonny