Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default photography lights

"sawdustmaker" wrote in message

I want to start taking photos of projects I've done. The camera flash
isn't the best way to go. Any recommendations + or - on lighting kits?
I'm
looking at buying from http://www.skaeser.com/. They seem to have a
broad
selection.
Yeah -- I've done the websearch / google thing.

I'm assuming you are using a digital camera. If so, I wouldn't be
considering speedlights (strobe/flash) because of probable syncronization
problems. That leaves continuous light which could be incandescent,
halogen or flourescent. Flourescent is deficient in red light but if your
camera can correct for that it is a viable possibility.

If you plan on photographing inside, you need at least two lights: one to
create the highlights and shadows to delineate the object's shape, the
other to lighten the shadows created by the first. The fill light - the
second one - should have as large a light emitting surface as possible so
it doesn't create shadows of its own. Best position for it is as close to
the camera axis as possible.

Additional lights can be useful to accent whatever,

--

dadiOH