Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default photography lights

On 1/14/2015 6:55 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:
I want to start taking photos of projects I've done. The camera flash isn't
the best way to go. Any recommendations + or - on lighting kits? I'm
looking at buying from http://www.skaeser.com/. They seem to have a broad
selection.
Yeah -- I've done the websearch / google thing.

I don't know your experience level but if you are new, the first thing
you should buy is a good primary on Lighting. Lighting is tricky and if
not used right the sun will not provide the proper lighting for a project.

Unless you have the space, your best light is diffused light from the
sun. With a 3D object you may need some reflectors to get every thing
lit properly. But a reflector does not need to be anything more than a
white piece of cardboard.

Remember, most of the photo equipment is designed for portrait and
similar work, not for photographing a china cabinet, which will present
a completely different set of lighting problems.