Owen Lowe

Default Advice on wood finish please...

In article ,
"Mike Deblis" wrote:

I want to make a smart, modern case for a nixie (valve) clock I've made...

I've got a nice strip of 10mm x 110mm x 1000mm beech (planed) that I will
make the small box out of.

I'm looking for a finish that is almost unnoticable and matt (to show off
the nice wood, and not to refelect the glowing nixie tubes), that would be
easy to clean and be long lasting... oil? varnish?

Please post pics when you get it finished - nixie clocks are waaaaay
coooool (neato, groooovy,spanky,cat's pajamas - bee's knees, Arch).

Since all finishes can be manipulated to a non-gloss, I'd recommend you
instead choose one which compliments your wood selection. Oils and
varnish will darken the tone of the wood somewhat. Blonde Shellac and
lacquer will maintain the "truest" wood color.

Apply several coats of finish, wait the appropriate time to allow the
finish to cure and then use steel wool or fine sand paper (800-ish) to
cut the finish sheen but not so much that you get down to the bare wood.

I'm doing this process with lacquer on several pieces but in the end I
plan on buffing the shine back up to high gloss. In this process the
finish has a beautiful smooth dull sheen.