Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Monarch AA vs Polamco/Toolmex TUG 40 lathe

On Fri, 22 May 2015 20:40:21 -0500, Ignoramus8699

On 2015-05-23, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2015 20:26:10 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Its a shame, that low top speed on the Monarch is a killer. that's why
it has no wear. I'd send it on down the road.

Slow speed has been the Achilles' heel of Monarchs for decades. They
are magnificent machine tools -- one of the best representations of
American machine tool design. But they were made for HSS tooling.

I don't know what the speed of Iggy's machine should be, but even if
it's running at its top designed speed, if it's from 1944, it will be
slow.

It is 500 RPM.

Ed, can you explain what is so bad, other than more time spent
machining, about slow top speed?

Isn't the final finish determined by tool type, style, and speed on
each material? That can be a biggie.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai