Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Monarch AA vs Polamco/Toolmex TUG 40 lathe

On Fri, 22 May 2015 20:35:08 -0500, Ignoramus8699

On 2015-05-23, Karl Townsend wrote:
Its a shame, that low top speed on the Monarch is a killer. that's why
it has no wear. I'd send it on down the road.

All other monarchs that I have ever seen are always worn to death. I
save tailstocks, cross slides and handles and scrap the rest. This one
was so unusual.

The thing is that I am still in love with it because it is so good
looking. Have hard times letting go.

At least you ACK that flaw.

What, exactly, is bad about slow top speed? That works takes longer to
finish? I keep hearing how high RPM is needed for carbide, but I use
carbide at low speed. I do not quite get it. I am sure that I am
missing something.

Because it has a 16" swing, top speed is lower, da? If you do more
work on smaller diameter items (who doesn't?), then select the lathe
with the higher speeds. It all depends on exactly how the lathe is
being used and what the lathe is being used for in -your- shop. You
(probably) already have all the info you need to choose.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai