Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default Hats Off !!!

On Fri, 22 May 2015 08:14:35 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Fri, 22 May 2015 07:32:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
On 5/21/2015 10:51 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where
did
these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see
this
on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way
older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed.
Baseball caps? Come on! I realize that I'm old fashioned (still
stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a
room)
but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn
hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Ivan Vegvary

I still have a hard time with guys that don't wear coats and ties to
restaurants.

The growing electronics industry went to jeans and tee shirts back in
the 60's, in reaction to IBM and Xerox's strict white-shirt dress
codes.

Fashion-conscious New York magazine writers who visited the Segway
factory noticed and commented on our very relaxed "dress code", though
it's not much different from Broadway stage crew attire.
http://performingarts.about.com/od/S...Stage-Crew.htm
"...the uniform should involve the standard black work slacks or
pants, and a black polo, tee or pullover style shirt."

-jsw

The scope of RCM conversations continues to expand. Who would have
thought that we'd be evaluating fashion trends?

To be really sensitive to proper attire, you have to evaluate the
environment you're entering. For example, I have several CAT caps,
with specific models of earth-moving equipment embroidered on them. Do
I wear the one with the front-end loader or the bulldozer? It depends
on whether I'm dining in Aurora or Joliet.

And my college-team baseball caps -- Washinton & Lee, or Georgetown?
Will I be overdressed if I wear the Princeton cap?

Not at "21" in NYC. But probably at Tony's I-75 Restaurant in Flint.
Consult first with your fashion advisor.

Well, I think that a "proper dress code" should be of interest to a
"working man". I was the manager of a construction company in
Indonesia and certainly when you walked in the door I formed an
initial impression of you from the clothes you wore.

I had an Australian bloke come in, wearing a dirty wife beater, filthy
shorts and rubber flip-flops and apparently hadn't had a bath in some
time either. Said he was looking for a job and I told him "sorry mate,
we are full up at the moment - but maybe in a few months if we get
another contract ...". Never even asked what he did for a living.

In another instance I had a Australian bloke came in wearing a clean
short sleeved shirt, long pants and serviceable shoes. He said, "I
don't know what you do but I'm broke and need a job and I can work
hard".

We interviewed him and eventually hired him as a "Logistics
Supervisor". He worked a two year contract for us and when you asked
him "what about that part for Rig 2", he'd flip his book open and say,
"Yup, they ordered that on the 17th, none in stock, we ordered it from
Singapore on the morning of the 18th and it will be on the afternoon
airplane on the 20th".

The dirty shirt didn't even get interviewed and the clean shirt did...

--
Cheers,

John B.