Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Monarch AA vs Polamco/Toolmex TUG 40 lathe

On Fri, 22 May 2015 20:35:08 -0500, Ignoramus8699

On 2015-05-23, Karl Townsend wrote:
Its a shame, that low top speed on the Monarch is a killer. that's why
it has no wear. I'd send it on down the road.

All other monarchs that I have ever seen are always worn to death. I
save tailstocks, cross slides and handles and scrap the rest. This one
was so unusual.

The thing is that I am still in love with it because it is so good
looking. Have hard times letting go.

What, exactly, is bad about slow top speed? That works takes longer to
finish? I keep hearing how high RPM is needed for carbide, but I use
carbide at low speed. I do not quite get it. I am sure that I am
missing something.

Carbide needs higher speed only to get the best par-part cost out of
the machine. It's an economics thing. The idea that you need to run
carbide at high speed is a myth.

--
Ed Huntress