Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Our Rail System Is So Bad...

Trains run higher than 100 miles an hour moving across the wide open
stretches of Texas. It is really neat to see a 150 car freight hauling
ass across the flats passing you on the parallel highway when they come
into the western mountains - you get to pass the train.

I-10 has some interesting west Texas venues with trains.

The sun-light limited (IIRC) often runs over 100 miles/hour between
San Antonio Texas and LA.

Martin

On 5/20/2015 3:17 PM, David Billington wrote:
On 20/05/15 15:57, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Wed, 20 May 2015 14:14:08 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

On 20/05/15 03:50, Martin Eastburn wrote:
We had college friends that rode the UP-N all the way down to Chicago.
We had light rail in San Jose/Santa Clara, Hard rail up the east bay
to SFO.

Washington DC has a nice large Metro.

LA tore theirs up when cars came and then tried to start over -
Much money for few riders.

Atlanta has a rail system as well.

Bordeaux France does not the last time I was there. Oh the High
speed train ran near there I think. But airplane / car was the
functional way.
You must have missed the station as it's had one for a long time, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de...aux-Saint-Jean .
There are a number of routes in Europe where the high speed trains are
taking over from planes as the quickest options for the journey.

To a limited extent, that's happened here on the East coast. Before
all of the security checks, I could jump on a plane at Newark and be
in D.C. or Boston in just over an hour. Now, I take the train. It's
quicker to downtown D.C. than a plane, and a lot more convenient and
just a little longer to Boston. Plus, there is a lounge car, a dining
car, wi-fi, etc.

But I live 300 yards from a station on the Northeast Corridor. Not
many people share the same logistics, except those near the train
lines.

I can see the same reasons in Europe, the difference is the high speed
trains here can top 200mph so the distances benefitting from that are
greater than in the US, what is the top speed of the US trains you use
or the top speed of the fastest.