Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Our Rail System Is So Bad...

On Wed, 20 May 2015 14:14:08 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

On 20/05/15 03:50, Martin Eastburn wrote:
We had college friends that rode the UP-N all the way down to Chicago.
We had light rail in San Jose/Santa Clara, Hard rail up the east bay
to SFO.

Washington DC has a nice large Metro.

LA tore theirs up when cars came and then tried to start over -
Much money for few riders.

Atlanta has a rail system as well.

Bordeaux France does not the last time I was there. Oh the High
speed train ran near there I think. But airplane / car was the
functional way.

You must have missed the station as it's had one for a long time, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de...aux-Saint-Jean .
There are a number of routes in Europe where the high speed trains are
taking over from planes as the quickest options for the journey.

To a limited extent, that's happened here on the East coast. Before
all of the security checks, I could jump on a plane at Newark and be
in D.C. or Boston in just over an hour. Now, I take the train. It's
quicker to downtown D.C. than a plane, and a lot more convenient and
just a little longer to Boston. Plus, there is a lounge car, a dining
car, wi-fi, etc.

But I live 300 yards from a station on the Northeast Corridor. Not
many people share the same logistics, except those near the train
lines.

--
Ed Huntress