Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It mows

On Tue, 19 May 2015 12:26:09 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2015 05:49:20 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2015 06:38:33 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
dpb wrote:
On 05/18/2015 8:32 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

... I'm not sure what pressure I've got in the tires right
now , but probably too much. Less pressure , especially on the
rear
, means more tread in contact with the ground and that might be
part
of my traction problems.

W/o looking at the spec, I'll bet about 14 psi will be recommended.

Even more significant will be adding some weight if you're pulling
something...

During the icy season I had a board laying across the fenders under
the seat with a 70 lb bag of sand on each side . The fenders weren't
quite wide enough ... with the added weight and the chains , I was
able to clear our road to the highway so everybody down here could
get out . What I need is a couple of 2-3" thick steel rounds I could
bolt to the wheels . Bet it wouldn't spin then !

--
Snag

A neighbor had leftover 25 Lb wheel weights from a Sears bagging(?)
kit that included them for tractors smaller than his. They didn't
directly fit his or mine, but I have machine tools...

You could ask Sears if they have extras from kits they installed.

Or weld stubs onto the back of the frame and load regular lifting
weights on them. Used weight sets go for cheap on Craigslist and free
on Freecycle. They'd be very easy-on/easy-off, and store well too.

Friend that's giving me the leaky deere has a sidemount weight system
on his tractor to allow mowing the ditch without tipping over. It
hangs a hundred pounds or so about 3 feet out on the high side to hold
it down!!

You never thought you'd see an outrigger on a tractor, huh?

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson