Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
snafu[_3_] snafu[_3_] is offline

Default Any home built CNC'ers - Mach3 E-stop

On 19-May-15 5:53 AM, Hul Tytus wrote:
Guessing from a distance: seperate the 12v supply from the logic/estop
supply. As a check, use a completely different supply - a 12v wall plug
type with adequate power if possible; or a stray computer supply.
Out of curiosity, what is the 12v spindle?

Hul

Yep, they are already separate and as it happens I'm using a wall plug
unit for the e-stop etc.

The 12V spindle is a home brew thing.

I think the motor may have originally been off a large centrifugal fan,
maybe automotive.The motor is about 4" diameter x 5" long with a 1/4'
shaft. Its coupled via a small tooth belt to a shaft. The shaft is
mounted in a couple of bearings with a rotary tool collet fitted to the
bottom.

I'm only routing plastic with a 2 flute engraving bit so I don't need
too much HP. The Dremel was too fast and was melting the ABS plastic so
I changed to the 12V motor to drop the speed.