Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It mows

On Mon, 18 May 2015 08:32:30 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2015 18:27:43 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:
Dassa very interesting tractor. Increase tread width? Front and rear
draft adjustments? Triple hydraulic controls? At 5psi, I'll bet it
gives a soft ride. Do you have the belt cover, and are you going to
use it?

Interesting , yes it is . It also has taps from the pump to add a
hydraulic 3 point hitch to the back for plows and other implements . I do
have the belt covers , and they are on the deck . Wouldn't do to get grabbed
and lose a limb ...

I suppose the triples do expose more belt than is safe.

I'm not sure what pressure I've got in the tires right
now , but probably too much . Less pressure , especially on the rear , means
more tread in contact with the ground and that might be part of my traction
problems .

I've never had problems with traction except from dead starts with the
wheels on the stops.

Hey, guys, who sells the cheapest tires for these critters? My fronts
are bald. Carlisle 15x6.00x6NHS Turf Saver II.

(I traded $300 worth of work for the beastie with hydrostatic tranny,
go/reverse pedal and have only changed oil, put on a couple belts, and
replaced the blades with thicker Pro thatchers in the past 6-7 years.)

I still need to figure out why the main deck height knob on the lift
mechanism isn't working correctly , it seems to be stuck . I expect by weeks
end I'll have it all sorted out and correctly adjusted . Today I'll be
picking up new tires for the front and a new belt for the main drive . New
spindle bearings on the outboards are coming too . That should be all I need
to have it fully and properly functioning .

It's nice to be able to totally rebuild something for under a Benjie,
innit?

I'm not sure what a new yard/garden tractor with comparable features costs
, but I know I can't afford one . JD is proud enough of their new units you
have to call to get a price ... there were no prices in the flyer I got in
the mail , just discount offers between $500-$1000 , so you know they ain't
cheap !

I understand they're all made in China now and the **** has totally
hit the fan, with JD fans bailing by the tens of thousands.

--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

(comparing Paine to the current CONgress deep sigh)