Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Our Rail System Is So Bad...

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Ignoramus6769 wrote:
On 2015-05-16, Cydrome Leader wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:
that I often wonder if some idiot like slow eddy is in charge.
It's clear that America has a serious mass-transit problem that
we have never been able to deal with:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFI_FMtUEAAW0x9.jpg

We have no problem hauling more freight than the rest of the world
except
China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_us...nne-kilometers

I can move more stuff in a wheelbarrow than any european freight
train
can. I'm not sure what the deal is with their plastic pasenger
trains and
model sized freight trains is. By any tehnical measure it's quite
different from what we have in north america.

I never realized how little was transported by rail in the EU. I
guess
it is a consequence of so many wars waged when railroads could be
built, and now it is too late to build them.

Note that per person, Russia transports 79% more tons of freight by
rail than the United States. I guess it is because their roads are
bad.

They also still have heavy industry, which probably makes use of
giant
freight trains.

See how bad they a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4U5ZmkaXcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZT4h7U29c8

wow. I've seen mudding courses that looked far easier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasputitsa