Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It mows

Pete Keillor wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2015 15:30:04 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2015 15:20:53 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Steve W. wrote:

snip
The 1/4" lower in front is to cut down on any drag,

_Drag_, at 4mph? giggle

snip

Yeah, drag of the blade on the grass. If the front is higher, it'll
still do most of the cutting, but the rest of the blade will gradually
try to reduce the height that last little bit, increasing the load and
giving a raggedy beat up cut.

Actually in this case it's only 1/8" - according to the directions
specific to this deck . My thanks to Leon Fisk for finding and posting the
link to the model 48 setup and user manual . I learned how it's supposed to
be set up , and how to accomplish the proper alignment .
As others have said , the wheels aren't supposed to touch during normal
operation . I didn't know that - and apparently neither did the last guy
that ran this deck .
I also found out that the throttle is supposed to be ran wide open during
cutting operations , which kinda makes sense . Higher blade speed should
give a cleaner cut . New bearings for the 2 outboard spindles are on order ,
there was detectable play in them . Center spindle bearings were tight and
smooth , apparently have been replaced already . That should clear up the
slight vibration . I have a feeling that now my wife is going to want a
"lawn" ... she thinks the area I was using for testing looks much better
than when I use the weedeater .
--
Snag