Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It mows

On Sun, 17 May 2015 16:26:49 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 16 May 2015 22:25:11 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in
:

And it mows quite well . The belts need to be replaced , but they
work
well enough to see that my weedeater is going to get a lot less usage
from now on .

Yeah, but do all three blades cut in the same plane? I've seen new
mowers that couldn't do that! (distinct, individual blade paths
visible in the cut-width)

Lloyd

Yup , they seem to be all in the same plane as far as I can tell . Not as
smooth as a putting green , but then the area I tested it on was the power
line easement , grass and weeds/wildflowers were between knee and waist high
. I need to sharpen and balance the blades , there's a little vibration .
I'm on totally new ground here , my previous mower experience is a 22" cut
single blade u-push-it unit . A guy could easily get spoiled by a machine
like this ...
BTW , for those that were discussing leveling the deck - This deck rides
on wheels , with rollers at center front and rear to (I think) help stop
scalping . There is no way to level the deck other than to adjust the lift
links for side/side leveling . I'll be looking at an online manual for
information on how it's supposed to be set up .

Adjust the wheels??

It didn't look like they had any adjustment there. Wheels are for
anti-scalping, anyway.

My Murray deck has slotted area on the back bracketsand wingnuts for
setting overall height range and leveling. I cut a couple pieces of
tubasix the height I liked, rolled the mower onto the driveway, and
set them under the deck, then loosened/tightened those adjuster nuts.
Bingo, instant set! Those blocks live in the pump house, so they
don't get lost. The front mount pair is sort of a floating bracket
which hangs from the mower frame. I think the rear adjusters move the
deck a bit front to back, then allow it to hang flat and self-level,
for the most part. It seems to work pretty well.

--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

(comparing Paine to the current CONgress deep sigh)