Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It mows

On Sun, 17 May 2015 10:13:17 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 05/17/2015 8:19 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2015 08:01:37 -0500
wrote:

On 05/17/2015 7:32 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

John Deere's manuals are hard to come by for free. They want you to PAY
for everything you get from them...

I've _never_ had the Deere dealer refuse information or copies of
pertinent sections of shop manuals or whatever gratis. A whole new user
manual for a used machine bought privately and no relationship
whatsoever with a dealership would be something else, though...

How many big green farm machines you got there? ;-)

A few...

Scag, ExMark, Poulan, Husqvarna, MTD... Owners, service, parts...
manuals are all easy to find online in pdf form and can be had for the
price of downloading.

My neighbor has an old John Deere A and now an old John Deere Lawn
Tractor. I've looked for manuals/info online. You won't find diddly
squat for them other than parts and those aren't easy to read. He
looked himself and couldn't find anything of use to him. The newer stuff
you can get as individual pages if you look hard enough. Nothing
suitable for keeping locally or printing out though unless you work at
it. Just saying...

Have you tried just going into the shop? Here they're all there (may
have to dig around a little to drag out the really old stuff, but
Jerry's never failed on anything I've ever asked about including the ole
112 lawn tractor that's somewhere in the early '60s vintage...of course,
I do have the original owner's manuals on everything here (plus some for
stuff that's been gone for 50 year or more...I stumbled on the book for
the old McCormick 10-20 and the bill of sale for it a few months ago in
a drawer...it had been traded in on the first Farmall 'M' before or
shortly after I was born so I never saw it...

That's not quite as convenient as if all had been scanned and put up as
.pdf doc's if one wants to just sit at the keyboard, granted. I don't
do collector stuff, but I'd've thunk w/ all the collectors there are
that there would be just scads of places for vintage Deere doc's.

But, if you want something that's hard to get and pricey if you do, try
JLG on their manlifts, etc., ... They hold stuff to authorized
dealers only and won't discuss repair/maintenance issues at all with end
users (I suppose for liability reasons). Cost me $150 for a base
maintenance manual that turns out doesn't include hydraulic systems as
well as other subsystems--they're that much more apiece. Deere looks
pretty good in comparison to their shade of orange.

Linde does the same damned thing. Cant find a manual for my forklift
ANYWHERE.

Gunner