Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It mows

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2015 06:54:50 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Larry Jaques fired this volley
in :

By design, or after one or more blades hit rocks during the first
mowing?

By LACK of design, is more like it. The decks are stamped, and
seldom rigid enough to maintain alignment in any circumstances,
even just shipping from factory-to-customer.

Lloyd

This deck is nearly an eighth of an inch thick , made back when
quality was a consideration . I'm not sure exactly when it was made
, probably in the 80's . I'm still looking for alignment information
, found a couple of references but no actual specs/information on
what and how . I did find a mention that the front should be 1/4"
lower than the back , but no information on how to accomplish that .

Spindle or deck itself? That difference right there would be enough
to cause a pattern to show in the mown lawn.

Shoulda done this in one reply ... oh well , what's a few electrons .

I've read in at least 3 places now that the front is supposed to be 1/4"
lower than the rear . Dunno why . After reading Jim W's post , I'll look
into the adjustments . I wondered why there's a height adjustment knob down
in front of the seat , well now that I know the wheels aren't supposed to
actually support the deck while mowing I can see how it's supposed to work .
Need to get that sheet of plywood out - as soon as it quits raining and
dries out some .
--
Snag