Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Almost done !

On Fri, 15 May 2015 21:43:23 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

On Fri, 15 May 2015 17:41:17 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2015 16:48:31 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2015 14:42:29 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2015 08:00:01 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Yeah , I was wondering about that too . As you say , for what I'm
doing it's not critical , but still I think it wise to do it
right . The hard part is going to be finding a flat level place
to do it ... the only flat level place here is the concrete slab
my shop sits on . And it's covered up with the shop and "stuff" .

You could probably get away with a decent sheet of plywood for your
surface with some well placed supports underneath...
or just rake some bare ground level, wet it down and pack it - let
it bake in the sun and set the tractor on it.. You don;t need a
perfectly flat granite surface plate to set up a lawn mower!!!

Got a sheet of plywood? Lay it down, run the mower up on it, and set
the level.

That was recommended just before the level ground.

And I just happen to have a sheet of 3/4 plywood ... I'll probably roll
the tractor up onto it before I mount the deck , gotta be easier than
draggin' that deck over the dirt and grass/weeds to position it for mounting
.
Today was a pretty good day . I got out my HF sandblaster and it actually
worked pretty good to get most of the rust off . I then sprayed the
bare/rusted areas with some rust conversion primer and started bolting stuff
back on it . Got the 3 best spindles of the 6 I have mounted and blades on

How did you handle the pivots for the blades, so they don't eat each
other when they hit something? Or did you attack that mod yet?

them . One small weld still to do and the front roller to mount and I can
flip it right side up and install the rest of the mounting hardware . I had
to do some build-up welding on the pulley block that tensions the drive belt
and turns the belt from vert to horizontal , the pivots the tensioner rides

Ick, vert to horz? I hate it when they do that. It kills belts so
durned quickly, and those belts are usually double the price to begin
with.

on were worn - as was the rear mount pivot bar . Adjustment clevises
clevi? were rusted in place and had to be heated to get them moving . If

Clevum? Nah, it's clevises.

all goes well , tomorrow I mount the deck and test it . It'll be a short
test because the front tires are dry rotted and starting to come apart , new
ones will be in on Monday .

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni