Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Almost done !

wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2015 17:41:17 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2015 16:48:31 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2015 14:42:29 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2015 08:00:01 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Yeah , I was wondering about that too . As you say , for what I'm
doing it's not critical , but still I think it wise to do it
right . The hard part is going to be finding a flat level place
to do it ... the only flat level place here is the concrete slab
my shop sits on . And it's covered up with the shop and "stuff" .

You could probably get away with a decent sheet of plywood for your
surface with some well placed supports underneath...
or just rake some bare ground level, wet it down and pack it - let
it bake in the sun and set the tractor on it.. You don;t need a
perfectly flat granite surface plate to set up a lawn mower!!!

Got a sheet of plywood? Lay it down, run the mower up on it, and set
the level.

That was recommended just before the level ground.

And I just happen to have a sheet of 3/4 plywood ... I'll probably roll
the tractor up onto it before I mount the deck , gotta be easier than
draggin' that deck over the dirt and grass/weeds to position it for mounting
..
Today was a pretty good day . I got out my HF sandblaster and it actually
worked pretty good to get most of the rust off . I then sprayed the
bare/rusted areas with some rust conversion primer and started bolting stuff
back on it . Got the 3 best spindles of the 6 I have mounted and blades on
them . One small weld still to do and the front roller to mount and I can
flip it right side up and install the rest of the mounting hardware . I had
to do some build-up welding on the pulley block that tensions the drive belt
and turns the belt from vert to horizontal , the pivots the tensioner rides
on were worn - as was the rear mount pivot bar . Adjustment clevises
clevi? were rusted in place and had to be heated to get them moving . If
all goes well , tomorrow I mount the deck and test it . It'll be a short
test because the front tires are dry rotted and starting to come apart , new
ones will be in on Monday .

--
Snag