Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mower deck links

On Wed, 13 May 2015 20:55:23 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

On Wed, 13 May 2015 19:01:53 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

On Wed, 13 May 2015 08:45:07 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

On Tue, 12 May 2015 21:15:40 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1
I'll tell ya, I'd be looking for something a little better to
spend my time on!!!! I wouldn't waste ten minutes fixing that one
- If I couldn't find the proper JD deck to fit I'd spend the time
adapting something from another tractor that still had paint on
it. 4 words. Silk purse Sow's ear.

Well , out here in the woods we just have to make do . The
problems with adapting a different deck are more work than
repairing this one . Bottom line is that time is available , I
have the stuff I need to do this , and I'm not making a purse .
"Use it up , wear it out , make it do or do without ."
I'm sure I could make a new deck out of material readily at hand out
in the sticks in less time, and for less money, than you will fix
that one - and it will last at least 10 times as long.

Dude , are you just in a ****y mood or what ? GO LOOK AT THE
PICTURES I POSTED TODAY .

How many hours of work so far?

About 8 hours total and I've spent ten bucks on cutting and grinding
supplies . I'll probably spend that much again on nuts and bolts to replace
the ones I had to cut to get stuff apart .
Clare , I've got everything here to build one (if I use some parts from
these 2 decks) , but no way could I fabricate something out of raw
materials in the amount of time I'll have into this project when I'm
finished . Nor would anything I cobbled up work as well as this
well-engineered device .
I suspect you and others thought I was repairing the swiss-cheese one -
and I seriously considered it . But I decided it wasn't worth it . So I
bought another specifically for the stamped body . I didn't expect the
mounting hardware to be different , but it was no big problem moving what I
needed and cuttin' off what I didn't . The fatigue cracks at the mount
points were not-unexpected , the fact that some idiot ran it with them like
that was though . A couple of minor welds still to be done and I could hang
this thing and have it cutting by tomorrow afternoon if I didn't want to do
some derusting and paint it . From now on it's all cosmetic .

It was the "cheese" that caught my eye, but the rust on the cracked
one had me concerned too. What size are the blades?