Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default rifling button pusher

On Thu, 07 May 2015 19:08:00 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Ed, things are a bit easier today.

The big job is gundrilling. I turned my Hardinge CHNC into a gun drill
with the use of a car wash high pressure pump and a special fixture to
hold the gun drill.

Oh, yeah. That's the hard part.

Push rifling buttons are available on eBay for about $200. I used my
30 ton hydraulic press with an air driven enerpac to push the button
right through.

I made a few just to prove I can.

Ah, as I said, if you have a press and a spare $200 for a
tool...what's the cost of a gun barrel today?

Still, Green Mountain sells barrel blanks VERY inexpensively. This is
by far the best way to go for the home weapons builder.

You bet. It's a great exercise and a good learning experience. But
after you've done it once (or enough to prove to yourself that you can
do it), it's a lot like cutting your own nails.

I've done that, too. Once. d8-)

Karl

--
Ed Huntress