Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default Over-hyped 3D Printing Continues To Disappoint

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 12:46:08 AM UTC-4, Martin Eastburn wrote:
If you are talking about other companies they bought the last few years
then you have to understand what process that is.

Manufacturing will probably always include aspects of CNC and 3D. Depends upon the order I guess. I'm not involved with either. So, what do I know or care.

It takes
time. Managers leave or retire with golden parachutes leaving
the bought out company with few to manage in the merger or takeover.

Well, that's a given for the business aspect. Most people are out to look after number one. Blue chip orporate head hunters, trade associations (that I assume you are a dues-paying part of) and pay scale researchers, etc... can usually find replacements in a fairly short amount of time.

The buyers have to come up to speed and move the financial facts
into their sheets. Often this is not understood or in such a bad
way that it doesn't go easy.

That's where consultants and advisors come in (BTW, both are separate efforts).

I have been in those positions myself. Mergers is often tough. The
enemy has just killed your changes of moving up by dumping the board
and managers you know...

That's when plan B, C, D, etc.. comes in. If they see that you participate in stock sharing schemes, then you should already be on the inside enough so that minor rivalries shouldn't be too bad.

Or double staffing and one takes a chance
that doesn't work. Maybe the guy on the takeover looks good on paper,
Ivy school and dresses well. But does not know the company. All sorts
of bumps along the way but the union is either killing off the 'other
guys' or it is acquiring designs or market-share.

A mom & pop trying to do everything themselves is increasingly going to end up one way ...

It isn't simple as you might believe. It takes years. Some never get
merged in well and are often tossed out.

Sometimes the government will step in and forceably prevent a merger.

Either given away, put out on their own again or just dumped in
mass and loss taken.

Sometimes, a merger or a break-up is happening purely to avoid fall out from an unfavorable chancery court ruling.

Business is complex and so is Finance.

Most elderly folks I've spoken to recommend taking a few accounting courses to help ease things.

They seemed like less tech than
EE or Physics but once in the Big world of world wide companies you
understand there are many countries that have strange to us laws that
require certain process must be done, employees can't be laid off

Many of those countries over there have law and accounting firms that can ease all of that. I mean it is their turf (if you want to see it that way).

and they can't work over 30 hours a week..... I was. The company I retired
from had manufacturing sites in 100 countries. That is big. The
company was an org chart of companies. Some many very large. Some
smaller ones are grouped into sub levels by themselves.
Being a Sr. Scientist, I worked with several different companies. Two
were as favors for long time friends and done during off clock time.
Not that I was ever on a clock, but one knows when you finally get to go
home to see family, eat and sleep it is your time.