Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Over-hyped 3D Printing Continues To Disappoint

On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 9:00:48 PM UTC-7, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Saying that Carbon3D is going to take the Market is naive. 3D-systems is
a very wide and deep company. They are constantly on the move and
expanding.

Suggest you read some of the replies below. It is a biased piece and
it suggests that the author only knows them on a surface level and a
Hodge-Podge of information. He is impressed on speed, not 70 microns.

Martin

On 5/2/2015 11:45 AM, jon_banquer wrote:
On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 9:04:15 AM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3116...efore-the-fall

"I believe that infant technologies like CLIP could change the dynamics of the market, and increase both demand and scalability of 3D printing. Because Carbon3D is a competitor to 3D Systems, it's hard to think of any alternative other than to short 3D Systems.

Not only has the business environment worsened, but the company doesn't have a viable business model any more. Management is more focused on reducing costs, while creating hype around stereolithography, which is almost due for a 30-year anniversary. The industry was ripe for disruption, and 3D Systems never came away with the breakthrough needed to take 3D printing from some niche opportunity into main stream. It lost.

I don't believe in comeback stories, as I'm fairly confident that the VC-backed Carbon3D is going to compete with the intent of taking the whole market over. They have the patents, and they are working with some of the finest VC guys in Silicon Valley. I also anticipate Carbon3D to utilize standard business practices to rapidly scale production for its 3D printer units.. Carbon3D doesn't have to price products for profit maximization, so it has some flexibility to adjust price points to be more directly competitive with industry-stalwarts. Needless to say, DDD has really high gross margins, so there's plenty of room for Carbon3D to fight with pricing."

What's naive is your understanding of 3D Systems and how poorly they have done with the Hodge-podge of technology they have acquired.