AHilton

Default Good finish for outdoor use

Some things look good when left unfinished and allowed to weather (crack,
grey, darken, mottled, mildewed, mossy) naturally but it really depends on
the specie of wood, where it's going to be displayed and just what the
person likes to look at. Many of my garden-series turnings are left
unfinished. They are intended to get that look and gain the properties of
the surrounding environment. Some people, though, just don't like it.
That's fine too. My dad had a friend that was in the military that told him
for years that "if you can't move it ... paint it!" g

Outdoor things like your hummingbird feeder 1) Won't sell well if just left
"natural"; 2) Don't hold up well over a period of time without some kind of
protection and 3) Just don't have that "look" of a pretty-thing which is
what that kind of project is intended to be.

With proper and common-sense care (a wipe-down every month or so), your
mothers' birdfeeder will look good AND be protected for many years. Made my
own mother a birdbath 5 years ago and finished it with Spar Urethane. She
takes it in during the winters and just wipes it down at that time. Still
has a shine and looks great. Made bunches of other outdoor "pretties" to
sell over the years and the ones in this area that I see regularly still
look great (although I can certainly tell how I've progressed as a turner by
just driving around!).

- Andrew

"Dennis W. Ewing Sr." wrote in message
After looking at it in natural light this looks like walnut, not mesquite.

little more of a rare find in this part of the world. The hummingbird

feeder
is for my mother who is going to want a mirror finish on the wood. she

hates
the look of weathered wood. Back when my late father was ranching I can
remember her asking why he didn't paint the cedar fenceposts or something

so
they wouldn't look so tacky.

I also fixed the typos in the header. I've got to learn not to type after

visit to the pain management clinic. them drugs do things to your brain.

too
bad they don't do as much for your spine.

--
Dennis W. Ewing Sr
210/653-1276