Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Motor electrical question

On 4/29/2015 12:34 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 21:46:38 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Now, back to the original problem: with the "extractor" operational, it
was overheating. The mass-of-air model would suggest that the cause of
that would be an air _leak_, not a blockage. I'll look into that & be
back.

Either that or the excess friction in the motor -- it really ought to spin
more or less freely (taking bearing seals into account, which I doubt are
there).

OK: I put my hand over the intake of the fan, blocking it totally and
the current dropped some, from 7.4 to 5.6A. Still way above the spec'ed
minimum of 2.9. So the problem is not a leak. Meaning it must(?) be
bearings.

I'm going to try to do some cleaning without disassembly. Not Gunner's
total immersion, cause I'll use PB Blaster, some such, and I don't have
a gallon of that.

Bob