Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Over-hyped 3D Printing Continues To Disappoint

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 07:37:58 -0700, Rudy Canoza
wrote:

On 4/29/2015 7:28 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 09:33:39 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 21:21:56 -0500
Martin Eastburn wrote:

snip
Artificial arms, legs are being made with 3-D printers. It is dropping
the cost for more to have them.

A local article ran in our paper about this late last year:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...oler_gets.html

"CEDAR SPRING, MI - The robotics team from West Catholic High School
gave a 4-year-old Cedar Trails Elementary student the right hand she
never had on Thursday, Dec. 19.

"I'm going to paint them (nails) pink," said Harmony Taylor with a big
smile as she pulled on each finger of her customized Robohand and
strolled around the school media center, getting a feel for the device
and using it.

Using it, she easily picked up the gift bag from the West Catholic
students who made the device. It included a bottle of pink nail
polish..."

According to a government source, there were over 12,000 articles
published about AM/3D printing a few years ago. The number now is
higher. The general press has gone ga-ga over it.

Thus, some people are "disappointed" that it hasn't revolutionized
manufacturing. But the only people who would feel that way are people
who have no understanding of manufacturing technology. I didn't read
the original post in this thread so I don't know who is saying they're
"disappointed,"

It was ban-queer, of course - who else? 3D printing, DOHC engines -
ban-queer can never stop humiliating himself.

Aha. Well, people should do what they do best, and that's the best
part of Jonnie Bonkers' advanced skill-set.

--
Ed Huntress