Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson[_3_] Jon Anderson[_3_] is offline

Default Over-hyped 3D Printing Continues To Disappoint

On 4/29/2015 12:21 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Do you wear hearing aids ? They are made on a massive array of 3-D
printers. Each design is custom. I want to say that 16 sets of hearing
aids are made at a printing. The resin molds are made inside the ear
and was once cast in investment and done one or two at a time,
then take a week to refine them and populate with electronics.

I have a picture of a metal jet engine that was made by 3-D printer.
They expect to get it working and hope to discover this and that - and
make changes. Better than simulation, it works or it doesn't. Doesn't
have to drive a plane just produce power for a short time.

Artificial arms, legs are being made with 3-D printers. It is dropping
the cost for more to have them.

One of my customers back in the States built a robotic unloader for a
false fingernail injection mold. Each nail had to be secured with a
small suction cup while being trimmed. They designed the vacuum
manifolding for 3D printing. All they had to do was tap a 10-32 for the
hose barb and slip on the suction cups. They supplied a spare, and if
needed, additional spares could simply be printed, tapped, and shipped
direct to the customer.

Jon