Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where the manufacturing jobs are going

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 15:56:42 -0500, F. George McDuffee

snip
The robots have to be programmed.

CADCAM programs still have to be created.

Jobs still have to be setup.

Modern, high-tech, state of the art, machining job shops haven't
employed button pushers for many years.

snip

Complete and utter bull****. In fact..they have managed to improve
the
machines well enough that they hire nose pickers barely able to read
mic and put them to running those very machines. Which is why
Jonboi
is unemployed. He required mic reading training after each potty
break
so they finally let him go.

Indeed, but the people for those jobs are not the same
people that were displaced from the manufacturing line jobs.

Gunner, who is in commercial machine shops 5-10 times a
week..working
on those machines..and dealing with those nose pickers.

I encountered that problem when designing control panels for auto
industry machinery. They would assign the least competent operator who
could run it. I learned why start buttons are shielded and stop
buttons aren't when I saw a girl slap the controls without ever
looking up from her romance novel.
-jsw