Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rudy Canoza[_3_] Rudy Canoza[_3_] is offline

Default Where the manufacturing jobs are going

On 4/28/2015 2:19 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

I think the idea is that there must be enough total jobs to employ a
substantial fraction of the population, but that they can include a
variety of types of new jobs -- each of which must require skills
that
are scarce.

Which, I believe, is a pipe dream. The writer has set up a
necessary,
but probably impossible, set of conditions to solve the employment
situation.

'Back to my sackcloth and ashes... d8-(

--
Ed Huntress

I don't remember from high school how many other people one
manufacturing job is supposed to support. IIRC the railroads figured
up to 10, the railroad employee plus one other family, when they
planned new towns along new lines, back before wives took jobs.

The notion that great increments of value can come only from making
tangible stuff is long discredited. It's complete bull****.