AHilton

Default Grood finish for outdoor usr

I am turning a hummingbirg feeder and am wondering what a good finish
would
be for it. This is from a piece of found wood. It looks like mesquite.

In decreasing levels of protection (but not necessarily looks or ease of
use)...

1) Epoxy. If you can get a good-looking finish from it.
2) Spar Urethane or other "outdoor urethane" / "Marine Finish".
3) Catalyzed or Pre-Catalyzed Lacquer.
4) "Normal" Lacquer
5) Polyurethane
6) Varnish

It doesn't hurt to put a drying/curing oil (pure tung, boiled linseed,
walnut) underneath any of these. Just make sure it's completely dry or else
it might affect the covering finish depending on what you use for that.

I've only been addicted to the lathe since January so I have much to

learn.
Lesson 1 the scew chisil is my friend. I can do so many things with it I

am
starting to think it is one of the most useful tools I have found yet.

Absolutely! If you can't do it with a skew, it probably doesn't need to be
done. g

- Andrew