Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Over-hyped 3D Printing Continues To Disappoint

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 12:01:54 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

Have you ever done 3D printing for a living or is 3D printing a hobby for you?

Hobby -- been retired for 7 years now.

Still getting my FFF printer [PRC assembled kit] dialed in
(had to rebuild the extruder hot end assembly retainer), but
so far so good.

Any suggestions for creating the required .stl files from
AutoCad or IntelliCad .dwg files, as I already know these
programs (and have a legit copy of Intellicad)? Any tricks
for converting a wire frame to a manifold model you can pass
on?

Any (constructive) comments you would care to make about
tinkercad http://tinyurl.com/l8rwonj,
Openscad http://tinyurl.com/avm82jf,
or FreeCad http://tinyurl.com/cphdgzw?
One of my concerns is avoiding sharp inside corners [stress
risers], and for appearance would like to radius outside
corners.

FWIW you don't need a 3d printer to experiment. One of the
FOSS printer control programs will allow you to dry run a
program. http://tinyurl.com/k4jo8zp Most likely the others
will also, but I haven't tried these. For a sample of the
"stuff" even the consumer/hobby printers can make see
http://tinyurl.com/5b7yyz [custom grips anyone?]

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"