Ken Grunke

Default Anyone Used Sorby Texture and Spiraling Tool

Ken Vaughn wrote:

Has anyone ever used the Texture and Spiraling Tool? I am curious if it is
as easy to use as the instructions indicate? The packaged instructions are
minimal, but I printed off some more complete instructions from the Sorby
website.

I've used the Serious texture tool which is about the same.
I was able to cut some nice spirals, but not without some tearout.
Looking at Sorby's instructions, I think I had the wheel upside-down. I
had the wheel's bevel facing down, with the wheel at about 45 degrees.
Instructions aren't very clear either from Sorby or Serious Tools, but
thinking a little more about it, the wheels might give better results
with the bevel upwards. The teeth are cut at 90 degrees to the cutter
wheel faces, so it kinda makes sense.
I'll try it tomorrow.
Would like to hear other opinions/experiences on that.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/
member, webguy Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin
http://www.crwoodturner.com/