Ken Vaughn

Default Anyone Used Sorby Texture and Spiraling Tool

First the story:

I was in a used tool store yesterday and the owner was pricing a bunch of
recent acquisitions. On the table was a bundle of Robert Sorby lathe
tools -- 10 in total, all with ash handles and maroon script Robert Sorby
logo. None had been used much, 3 still had the original factory grind, and
there was a Texturing and Spiraling Tool with an indexing tool rest
platform, a texture wheel, and 3 spiraling wheel cutters. All of this in
the plastic display packaging, never been so much as unpacked from what I
could tell. I asked the owner what he would sell the bundle for and he said
$125. I almost broke my arm reaching for my credit card. I looked up the
spiraling tool on the Internet, and it alone was priced at $131 with the
four wheels. There was also a roughing gouge, 2 bowl gouges, 2 spindle
gouges, 2 scrapers, a parting tool, and a skew chisel.

Now my question:

Has anyone ever used the Texture and Spiraling Tool? I am curious if it is
as easy to use as the instructions indicate? The packaged instructions are
minimal, but I printed off some more complete instructions from the Sorby
website.
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/